Recommend

Thursday, December 19, 2013

’Tis the Season

   It’s that time of year again. The hustle and bustle of people filled with “joy.” The colorful lights and festive decorations. The financial orgy of the corporations. The systematic continuation of mass lying to the prepubescent. The intolerance of anyone reflecting anything non-traditional. Yes…the holiday season is here again and it doesn’t get any better (literally).

   Bah Humbug! My personal opinion about the holiday season, but probably not for the reasons you think. I’m not old, bitter…or rich. I’m a bit selfish, but everyone that’s a part of the human race is also, even if it’s just a little bit. No, my reasons are many and will become clear as I paint a picture using bright greens, reds and yellows…trimmed in silvers and golds, with a hint of wood brown for that home and hearth feel.

   The holiday season, a time for giving, a time for joy. However, go downtown…any downtown, and do a bit of shopping and you will see that most of what is being given is attitude and the only “joy” to be had is from that giving. Perhaps I’m being cynical or I’m just a bit jaded from my own experiences but it seems like the festive mood is not so festive these days. I blame the world, which means I blame you…and me, since it takes the shape of our own molding, and the way it looks these days isn’t very pretty at all.

   Let’s be honest, the holiday season has become a corporate dream. People losing their minds en masse as they spend what little they have, and often more than they can afford to. Everywhere you look, the season is descending upon us in the form of commercials, savings, deals, and special offers. I remember when Thanksgiving was digested before the buzz of Christmas began. Now, the very next day after you eat, the madness begins.

   Speaking of madness, am I the only person in the world that thinks the systemic and organized lying to children is a bad thing?  The very first people they put their trust in are their parents, and in return they are led to believe a magical fat man in a red suit squeezes his ass into every chimney in the world…in one night, via reindeer that fly…without wings (I just think someone should have at least added wings to the reindeer). People say it’s all harmless and the joy the children get outweigh the fact that they are lied to…for years. I say it’s just conditioning for the future rationalization of telling lies…and accepting them when they are told to you. No wonder Christmas is good for government.

   Now we have a war on Christmas. Really? I see it as an indulgence in intolerance. Why does everyone have to believe, partake, or perpetuate the event? I agree that if one belief is publicly represented, then all should be as well (it’s that whole melting pot idea we call America), so the stories I hear of Christmas now being left out is just wrong (purely from a principled point of view…remember, I’m “Bah Humbug”). I’m talking more about this madness that ensues when somebody returns the “Merry Christmas” greeting with “Happy Holidays” or “Happy Hanukkah” or “Happy Kwanzaa” or the one that invokes the 360 degree “Exorcist” head spin…”I don’t celebrate Christmas.”

   Somehow that phrase carries so much more weight than the others. Perhaps it carries an underlying meaning that nothing is celebrated during the season? The rest of the dynamic body stunts from “Exorcist” follow when the inquiries of why are met with “I’m a Christian”…but that discussion is for another post.

   My thoughts are simple, and sometimes simply complex…but on this issue, everyone should do whatever it is they do, and let others do the same. Perhaps this is the first step in bringing the “joy” back to the season…not finding offense for something that has nothing to do with you. Unless you come across the Grinch in the process of stealing your Christmas, what does it matter? The joy in your heart is best reflected by the smile on your face. Heck…even I say “Bah Humbug” with a smile, even though people think I’m kidding at first, the smile still remains.


   This holiday season, like all the others that came before and those that will come after, people have a personal choice to make. It’s not very difficult, but it is decisive…be jolly or be a jackass. ’Tis the season…





No comments:

Post a Comment